Naruto New Generations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naruto New Generations

A Neverwinter Nights RPG Server

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Question Posed to You, The Players.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DM Deidara

DM Deidara

A Question Posed to You, The Players. Empty
PostSubject: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

So I don't think it's any secret that I have a head for rules and a fair bit of skill at technical writing. It's also not a secret that our rules are... loosely written and very simple. Now, general RP doesn't really need rules, but combat always will need to be detailed just for the sheer amount of things that exist. As it is, though, we have very few options of things to do! Ninjutsu/Taijutsu do damage and sometimes require specific defenses, and Genjutsu stuns you. That's really the gist of it.

Now, part of having more options means there's rules for them, but that means more rules need to be written. I've been considering this for some time, and decided to finally ask the players of this server: if the rules received a severe overhaul but stuck with the 1d20+stats opposed roll system we currently have now, would everyone be on board, and alright for learning the system?

Note: This is Deidara talking here, not the DM team.
Back to top Go down
LTenhet

LTenhet

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:27 pm

When you make things complicated, you turn people off to the server. Not to mention if you end up changing things that have been around forever, you anger people by changing the Norm when changes did not need to be made. Hence why everyone left Naruto Universe
Back to top Go down
Inamorta

Inamorta

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:54 pm

My personal experience with "Server Overhauls" is.. very horrible. It was fine for like a day... and then this server existed. Because no one wanted those rules, they wanted to go back, but the team refused to change it back. Not a good idea, in my opinion. You want to change a few rules? Or even all of them? Sure, just.. not all at once, and nothing -SO FAR- from the base, that it seems foreign... Otherwise, people will up and leave instantly. Tweak here, balance there, and it'd be fine. But... to just change an entire server's rules at once, is like trying to remake a game into something else.. after everyone's already interested in the original.
Back to top Go down
DM Deidara

DM Deidara

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Assuming I did this, I would only "change" a few things:

1) The rules would be more clearly written, with less ambiguity.
2) Jutsu and abilities would have keywords that would interact differently.
(ex. Fire Release jutsu would have the [Fire] keyword, meaning that it does X vs. Wind Jutsu and Y vs. Water Jutsu, and so on)
3) Clarifying the difference between physical and mental stuns, what interacts with them and how to defeat them.

The basic idea is to keep what we have now but allow more things to play off of one another, making fights more than slogging through HP or the "stun & fun" strategy (stunning, hitting with most powerful technique, stunning, etc). I wouldn't be suddenly converting the system to a White Wolf d10 dicepool or anything. It'd be more akin to going from Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 to Pathfinder.
Back to top Go down
Inamorta

Inamorta

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 7:12 pm

With changes like that? That's fine.. I thought you meant like a total overhaul on the server, like with what happened on NU. :O
Back to top Go down
DM Deidara

DM Deidara

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 pm

NU is bad and they should feel bad.

/sarcasm
Back to top Go down
Asuma

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm

I think server should return D:
Back to top Go down
[Retired] Madara

[Retired] Madara

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 pm

@ Original Point - Yes, under the simple clause that these rules are closely looked at and monitored in the writing so that they encompass everything but make it simple enough that someone doesn't scratch their head and go 'wat'..

@ Insults to NU - Fuck you.

There's my opinion.+
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question Posed to You, The Players.   A Question Posed to You, The Players. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Question Posed to You, The Players.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Naruto New Generations :: Out of Character Information :: General Out of Character-